Friday, September 24, 2010

Drawing Class 1 - Getting There




I was late for class. I have never gone to the school directly from my apartment and didn't realize I had no idea which subway to take until an hour before class. It's quite amazing that you can Google your route on the subway - I had no idea! So, off I go, a bit stressed, jump on the 'F' train and realize I am going the wrong way - AAHHH! I get off in one stop, walk over the tracks (well, not literally) and get on going downtown for a 22 minute subway ride and the minutes are counting down. I get out at a stop I've never seen before and am SO TURNED AROUND (this is not a new thing) it takes me 15 minutes to walk in a circle to get to school - 15 minutes late. The GPS on my phone is totally worthless - it places me a block from where I really am and adding that to my total lack of sense of direction - I'm lost, constantly. I am certain that once I determine which way I should go if I stop, turn around 180 degrees and THEN start walking, I will right 100% of the time. My way home was not much different. I found the subway stop after school just fine (holy smoke it took like 5 minutes to walk there) but when I got out - 2 blocks from home on 63rd - I started walking and ended up on 62nd, not 64th, so I turned off of Lexington on 62nd and ended up on Park - totally the opposite direction of where I needed to be! So I turned again, walked 2 LONG blocks to 3rd, where I belonged in the first place and up 2 blocks to 64th. I SWEAR - if there just weren't so many buildings and I could see the water...

Oh, and add to that that I have this very cool little Zuka wheeled cart that I drag behind me with all my art supplies in it but this particular model happens to have little twinkling lights on the wheels when you go - like baby sneakers. I am not that cool. Walking off the subway train I pass this group of like 10 gangster guys (this is 10:00 at night) and 10 feet further a gang of like 10 NYC policemen and I SWEAR I heard sniggering. How do I turn these things off?

3 comments:

  1. Mom! Use your gps thingy in your phone and I like the blinking lights option!! Especially if you keep walking all over the city at night! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha I remember this when we went to Europe! Good times. And yeah if you put your GPS on the walking setting does it help at all? Its the little icon up at the top that looks like a person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see no little walking person - its stupid.

    ReplyDelete