Saturday, September 25, 2010

Oil Painting Class #1

You know, this is pretty incredible, really. I just spent 4 hours in class with a really, really good teacher and we painted a model on a 4' square canvas - huge! There were about 10 of us in the class and we met in the sculpture room, temporarily, but man - it was great fun. I didn't take any photos because I wasn't comfortable taking photos of a naked model but I was super pleased with my painting! Next Saturday I will be sure and take a photo right when I get there and get set up - who knows, I may end up messing it up and it looks so good right now!

It was absolutely AWFUL getting there. I took the subway with my little Zuka but I used a bungicord to tie my 18"x24" piece of masonite to the side of it - it certainly wouldn't fit inside. It's like an octopus, my bungicord, it's got 6 arms and 6 hooks so you could totally encircle your victim. It looks very strange. I took the subway to Utrecht, the art store, where I went to pick up an 18"x24" pad of drawing paper and my HUGE 4' square canvas then, out on the street I went. (I should have had crocs, a full circle skirt, a shawl and huge dangling earrings.) Just the slightest breeze flung that stupid canvas around and my octopus bungicord struggled to hang on to my newly purchased huge paper tablet. I walked only about 6 blocks to school but when I got there, I asked the guy at the front desk - how do people get these monstrous things here? He just said it's a problem... (Luckily, I am in Greenwich Village where I really don't look that strange at all.)

Then, when we're done, we're told we can only leave the canvas here, I have to take the huge tablet and mansonite back home - we didn't even USE THEM! Me? I hid them behind my canvas and left them there. Now, there IS a chance another student may find it and take it as their own but my drawing class is Monday and I figured, Saturday evening to Monday evening? I'll take a chance and wheeled my Zuka home, unencumbered.

2 comments:

  1. At some point you should consider a cab, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, eh. I thought about it for a minute but I didn't think this gigantic canvas would even fit in a CAR! I am thinking the Metro ticket I bought for $80 - that was supposed to last me a month - wasn't even worth it. I hardly even use that - I just walk everywhere! I really don't have all that much to do and find it takes up the time, I see a lot of cool things and I won't get fat!

    ReplyDelete