Wednesday, September 29, 2010

HAIR!

So I guess the new news is my new hair. I didn't cut it but I needed it colored and I found a place, Ouidad, which, if you have curly hair, you will know. I guess Ouidad herself (this is a person's name?!) is at this particular Ouidad Salon on 57th St. I called them and got an appointment to color my hair. The man who did it criticized my hair products (I had to admit to what I used on a form I filled out) and said my hair felt awful. OK. So we talked about what fun thing we could do and he did it. I am glad I am in NYC because I'm not sure what the rest of the world would say about what I did to my hair. I should be on 101 Dalmations as Corella DeVille, and oh, if I could spell that right. He colored all of my hair dark - like it was when I was young, but gathered up the hair across my forehead and about 2" back and bleached it platinum blond. Yep. He did go back and put in some streaks of dark, wait - this process took 4 hours:

1. Color main hair dark and bleach top knot.
2. Rinse out and condition my hair for 15 minutes.
3. Put more dark color on my hair and more bleach on my top knot.
4. Rinse that out.
5. Put dark streaks in my top knot.

Then, he did what Ouidad is famous for - style my curly hair. He did a lousy job - I mean, ya, it was in these nice, tight, ringlets - if you like those things (ok, maybe not exactly ringlets but I'm used to something a lot looser) but my top knot was a straggely mess. He didn't like that part and did it again - but it didn't get any better. I said I liked the color (and I think I do, but it's a little shocking when I see myself in a mirror - it is SO dramatic) and thought it just needed to dry a little more so off to the counter to pay I went. $425 dollars later - WHAT!? - SO many processes (AND a condition!) and I still had to tip the guy AND his little helper! I should have stopped right then and said, hey, for $425 I would like to leave this place with FABULOUS looking hair - don't ya think? I cringed and hid and pulled and wished the wind would blow harder all the way home (yes, I was walking because that is what I do here).

This morning I woke up and washed it and styled it myself. I had a very hard time using my lousy products because they are destroying my hair - or so he says - so it doesn't look quite as nice as usual and it is SO dark but it's nice. I worried about the dark against my old face but that platinum blond takes your mind totally off that...

1 comment: