Tuesday, November 16, 2010

CATCH UP

Saturday, went to Oil Painting Class and worked for the third week on the giant 4'x4' painting. We have one more week but the model 'mentioned' to the teacher at the end of class that she might not make it next week! WHAT?! Might as well tell us we're changing rooms! She's a pretty important part of our paintings, to say the least, and we were all planning on 4 weeks on this painting. I forgot to take a photo, will take it at the beginning of class next week and hopefully, we have a model...

Sunday I headed to 23rd Street and Restoration Hardware. They're having a big sale and I'm not sure why I thought I had to go there during a sale - I'm not buying anything - but I guess it tells you the power that word has over me. It was as busy as can be - TONS of people - but it's a beautiful store and it makes a huge difference to actually see these things in person. I had gone through their catalog and marked some items I thought would be great in this SIMS house but when I was there, some things were very different in person. I HAVE to remember this. Too many times I have been just a little disappointed when the actual item got to my house after buying it online. There are too many options out there to not end up with exactly what you want. I found a little book filled with photos of great bathrooms that I bought for $13 across the street and that's great fun plus I bought a box of scented amber, that is really beautiful and smells great - for my Mom for Christmas. I think my Mom would be happier if I found a box in the gutter, cleaned it up and filled it with old plastic containers - she's a tough one...

Monday was SO fun (hey, what day isn't around here?)! I left the apartment at 2 to walk to class and just spend the day going from E. 64th St. to W. 8th St. and my sculpture class at 6:30. That's about 3.4 miles (I googled it) but what fun along the way! I stopped at 'MOOD' - the fabric store the contestants shop at on 'Project Runway' - and bought some GREAT fabric (and a gift for my sewing grandaughter) and Ann Sacks Tile. Ann Sacks started in Portland, so that was a little crazy (I've been to their store there) so I may want to find a NY tile store while I'm on the east coast. Then ended up at sculpture class and made this:




Sculpture is not my favorite thing, though it is fun and a great way to learn volume and depth and dimensions - length from here to here, etc. - but I can tell I am getting a little bored with it. Maybe it's because all we do is heads and even though doing this same head TWICE in a row made it that much quicker and easier to see the form, I'm a little tired of it. I will miss the class next Monday - I'm heading to Omaha for Thanksgiving - so that leaves only 2 classes left. Holy Smoke! Imagine. I'm down to TWO more sculpture classes...

Today, I am going to a gallery to check out the John Currin paintings because my painting teacher asked us to. It is a little rainy and overcast out but I'll just put on my raincoat, hood and boots and take off. Lucky for me I got the 'Keratin' treatment for my hair and it won't frizz all over! I get compliments on my hair every day. Yesterday, just walking down the street, a guy on a bike brushes by and hollers out - 'love your hair!'. Weird. I wonder if he meant me, come to think of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment