Friday, November 12, 2010

DRAWING CLASS #6

Fun, Fun, Fun. Man, I LOVE this stuff - it's almost as good as painting! This teacher is a NUT about drawings and he spends easily 45 minutes of every class bringing in books and showing us great drawings and what is beautiful about them and I get tired standing there, but he's right - it's a great way to learn about what makes a beautiful drawing.

I am struggling with depth, I see, because all of these seem so flat and they need to go BACK in space and come FORWARD in space and they aren't doing that. I think I can do that with the thick or thinness of the line and the darkness of the shadows - the closer things could be darker and more detailed. I am drawing a lot of the stuff around the figure, which I understand is so important but it is not doing anything to give the drawing volume. Hmmm, I will ask Mr. Lee about that next week...

Here are 3 drawings - the first 1 is a 20 minute drawing where they set the timer for 5 minutes and when it goes off, you have to change media.


The second one is done the same way but I chose some heavy stuff first off and that doesn't work, nor does the red conte crayon - I'm too heavy handed with the side of it. I like using the white conte as an 'eraser' and think it helped soften it some.


The third one was a 20 minute drawing with no timer - change as we please - and I grabbed the things I like the best - the ink pen and the washes. I like drawing initially with the ink pen and being really loose about it because all those lines really add to the final product. It's fun to then go in with the washes and bring out the shadows and finish with the heavy black line - though I have to be careful not to take this time to 'outline' the items in the drawing. I LIKE this one - I even signed it and wonder if that means I'll frame it when I get home. Yep. Great memories.


I would like to go back to my outdoor 'Plaza' drawing and bring in some black ink now and leave the background light and airy. We'll see if I can pull that off. Again, the goal is to give it some volume - bring this forward and push things back. Don't forget.

1 comment: