Tuesday, November 2, 2010

SCULPTURE CLASS - Again





















Who knows - the fifth/sixth class? I feel I am getting better. I worked on this head for one - 3 hour session and was just beginning to feel that I had a good sense of the ins and outs of her head. I didn't want to stop! Darn if the teacher said we do another head next week and I had to break her down and dump her in the clay bin.

When I'm lost on her eye - I have to LOOK at her eye and make it like that. Build it up where it's full and cut it out when it goes in. Proportion is critical - the distance from her nose to her ear and then from her ear to the back of her head. I started just rubbing the clay around, moving it out of the way, pushing it into new places - actually FEELING her face in my hands. Then time ran out and I walked to the subway, stuck in my earphones like everyone else, and hopped out at my stop and walked to the apartment in the cold. No getting lost now - almost like home.

I miss my bedroom fireplace on nights like that but I prefer my clothes here. Luckily, I can take those home...

No comments:

Post a Comment