Friday, October 1, 2010

Cool and rainy and hackers


I am not feeling so great - a sore throat and feeling kinda draggy darnit. I took off after working all morning and walked to Bloomingdales, where I returned some previous purchases (yes!) and bought some hair cream that, I am hoping, will reduce the frizziness of my crazy hair in this wet, drizzly weather. I was aiming for Barnes and Noble early enough where I could buy a nice warm coffee drink and I brought my sketchbook to sit and draw all the bunches of people that gather there. There were bunches of people alright - and nowhere to sit. I got there late - after 5 - and forgot to tell them a decaf so I was really hesitant to drink and wondered where I was going to sit! I went out and downstairs in this big building where there were lots of tables and a big group of guys meeting. The conversation was all about 'hacking' so they were a bunch of computer geeks and very draw-able. I have been thinking a lot about what my drawing teacher talked about last night. He is really amazing and way, way beyond me but there were a few things that made some sense.

I am drawing things in space on a flat paper. How do I get the feeling of volume and distance and space on a flat sheet of paper? It was very confusing and very hard to imagine but it really did make great sense. So, I drew this group of guys and tried really hard to give them 'volume' by making them into 3 D boxes. I don't think this is what my teacher had in mind but it helped me aim for that instead of my usual flatness. He says we need to exaggerate the different points - shoulders, elbows, knees, etc. making sure nothing is ever ever on the same plain (or is that plane?). Come to think of it, I didn't even check for points on the same plane and I'm SURE there are too many that are, because I wasn't watching for that! Darn. I will need to do it again. And again.

No comments:

Post a Comment