Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dream Day


So if I was going to describe a 'Dream Day' in NYC, I think this would be the day. I don't feel so great, though it's mostly a deep cough and a bit run down, but I decided to head to the Frick Museum. It's not far from where I live - about a 15 minute walk - and it was cool and drizzly out so wandering around outside didn't sound so pleasant. I got there around 2 and it is the absolute most perfect museum. The building is a mansion built by Mr. Frick - Henry, I believe - and he built it to pretty much house his art collection so it's this fabulous mansion with these high, glass ceilings. He even declined to ever permit any of his works of art to leave the premises, which they never have. There are only 2 American artists - one a bit unknown but he painted a famous portrait of George Washington and the other was Whistler - in the entire collection. There are so many beautiful and famous pieces of art and yet, it seems so small and particular, I spent all the way until it closed with the little recorder to my ear pushing every button in front of every painting!

There is a wonderful collection in the basement of ink and pencil drawings by Spanish artists which is absolutely the best!!! This is a collection there just for a short period of time and I am so, so glad I was here to see it! I asked and yes, I can go back to the museum shop and not pay another $18 admission fee - but man! I would love to have the book on those drawings so I could copy them.

On the way home I actually stopped at the 'Asian Grill' just a block from my apartment and had dinner. It was delicious and how nice to have dinner - I mean, that for starters, but also - something that was really dinner! I am not much for eating around here and hope I don't get comfortable eating out by myself - that could prove expensive (though this dinner was only $20!). I also bought a NYC coffee mug to remind me of this trip and a container of chocolate covered pretzels! Oh, and not to mention, but it WAS important - I looked so darn cute with my new past the knee lace up black boots, tight black pants, python black & gray tunic top, short, 3/4 sleeve black jacket - ooowee! I WAS New York! I belong here.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! You belong there! You sound so happy! It's awesome! And that outfit?? Wow! You must post a picture-- atleast of those boots!

    ReplyDelete