Saturday, October 9, 2010

Oil Painting Class III

I was really concerned last night (Friday) because we are supposed to bring a new canvas to Painting Class today. This is quite a feat, if you remember 2 weeks ago when I carried one for quite a while through the streets (along with my rolling Zuka COVERED with large sketchbooks and pallets). I had a plan - I even wrote it all down, timing, directions, etc. - laid out my clothes for the morning and tried to sleep.

It wasn't quite that bad - I slept fine - but I left my apartment at 10:30 to haul my Zuka (it's just a little fancy rolling suitcase with my paints, brushes, etc. in it) straight to school. Now, class doesn't start until 2 but I had a schedule. I am not sure why an 'M' train was in my 'F' train slot, but I figured I'd get on it anyway. Bad idea - they have letters on them for a reason. So I got off at the next stop, walked a ways to my 'F' train and got on the right one this time. Don't mess with the system. I ended up at school on schedule, somehow and dropped my Zuka off instead of hauling it around. They don't like you to do things like this at that school - it's very small and space is at a premium - but if I am the only one doing it... I was so early, I stopped and ate a cinnamon scone and a glass of fresh squeezed OJ. I would have taken them with me but the top of the cup had no place for a straw and that could mean a disaster, so I took some deep breaths, sat and ate. I walked 15 minutes to Dick Blick and bought a canvas - that took 5 minutes - and then walked back to school. Hmmm, still plenty of time. Then I took off for Utrecht Art Supply and got a refund on the 3 4' canvases I purchased from them 2 weeks ago but had not picked up. The ones at Utrecht costs $104 and the ones at Blick cost $55. That took another 20 minutes and it was noon. Hmmmm, 2 hours early for school. So I went shopping.

When it was time for school, I took my Benetton purchase, and headed back, early enough to set myself up in a nice spot with plenty of room - until everyone else shows up and I have no room left to back up to survey my painting. It's 4' square - it's HUGE - you HAVE to step back, it's like painting on top of the opposite of a pin. I had some time to run upstairs, pull my last painting down and take a photo of it, put it back and be back in my spot in time for the teacher to start. I am going to include a photo of this first painting. Mom and Dad - you may not want to look (I hope I'm not too late) but I can see many flaws but then, it was 2 class periods of 4 hours each and I'm not done. I'll bring it home and maybe work on it some more or start again.


I am truly hesitant about including the photo I took of the painting I did today. I am having a great time with the format but there are some glaring problems and I am a bit embarrassed but I will work on it again next week and try to fix them. My drawing teacher would have my head... Hey - if I could step back far enough to see the stupid thing I could have caught these things!

1 comment:

  1. Looking back, I can see that mistakes have been my best teachers. -And yet, I still would prefer to hide them.
    I think the paintings are good. I particularly like the one with the male model. There is so much to like in this painting; lots to look at, and it has a strange mood too.
    Way off on the side, you nailed that door, even got the light coming under it. Maybe you got a thing for doorways.
    Anyways, thanks for posting.
    Dave Poynter

    ReplyDelete